"Take the cookies when they're passed": embrace life's opportunities, don't hesitate or hold back. Explore. Experiment. This is your chance. This is your time. Don't let the cookies pass by. Life is too short.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dreaming about Bed

I'm an eight to ten hour girl when it comes to sleep, but lately with all these intriguing blogs mixed with homework and research, I have been lucky to get a solid seven hours sleep. And for me, one hour makes the world of difference. Even when I was pedaling my little heart out in my fifty minute spinning class this morning, I must have yawned at least five times. My heart was pounding and I was definitely breathing heavily but I still managed to feel sleepy, sleepy enough to yawn. What's more, I don't yawn in the most graceful or attractive way (not that many people do but I'm pretty sure that my yawns beat all others!) and y eyes tear up and the bottom part of my face tends to get a little red (don't ask!). It's a real nuisance.


Also, I live in the attic of a really gorgeous old house but my small, country-cottage style attic bedroom has three great big skylights that the sun starts to flood through at five thirty in the morning. Yes, waking up to a bright and sunny rooms makes for a cheerful start to the day, but when one yearns unbroken, deep sleep, the sun can be rather detrimental. For me, It's a no-win situation. Oh and by the way, my newfound fan is a miracle worker regarding sending me off to sleep. All I have to do is lay in bed, tune my ears into its soft and consistent buzz and BOOM, I'm gone, long gone into the dream world. Also, its coolness is comforting and brings me back to life in an English boarding school where the rooms were chilly (which was at times an understatement as on several occasions I recall seeing my breath upon waking in bed or eating brekkie in the dining room!). Fans also bring me back to my younger years in Asia where they were nothing less than an absolute necessity.


Anyway, enough about fans! Onto beds...


I have a heavenly bed in my little attic room. It's a twin bed but that does not bother me in the slightest. You see, double, queen, and king sized beds are undoubtedly luxurious, but when I'm alone I fear that the boogie monster or a lonely ghost will join me on the open half and the mere thought give me the heebie-jeebies. At home, I have a double and although I still fear the company of ghosties, my two dogs are there to protect me. Only thing is, despite the bed's infinite amount of open space, both dogs enjoy to splay their wooly-mammoth like bodies out on either side of me and sandwich me in to the point that I cannot move a muscle. It is cocooning but after eight hours, not being able to shift from side to side makes for a sore back. And I am most definitely a shifter. And a kicker. And a sleepwalker!


So, amid all this sleep talk, my main point of this posting is to present an array of mouth-watering beds that I would like nothing more than to curl up in with a DVD playing on my laptop or with a classic book in hand. The first photo is of my bed in my attic-room at University and the rest are, well, just plain old dream beds. But beware: don't proceed to ogle these photos if you are 1) sleepy 2) chilly or 3) not coffeed up!






























This last picture makes me wonder how much better my boarding school experience would have been if the dorm rooms looked like this! We slept on dodgy wooden bunk beds with stiff and stained mattresses. The thin, wooden ladder rungs were agonizing to climb up and down and it felt as if the entire structure could snap with too heavy a collapse into bed. Not too pleasant a bedtime experience to say the least. This dorm room is infinitely more homely looking than our gloomy grey and dull blue decorated ones with hideous pale-flowered hospital-like curtains. I love the whicker trunks and the nice and puffy duvets. For some reason, at school, mine was always flat and lifeless. Perhaps it was revolting against the bed it had to lay on! The whicker baskets would have been a great accessory to have in our dorm rooms at boarding school as the house-rules stated that each girl was only allowed three small teddy bears MAXIMUM! For youngsters, this is a near impossible rule to follow as choosing your top three teddies is like asking a grown-up to choose their top three household items. Yeah, hard, right!?       

P.s. My secret to a good night's sleep: a warm and soothing, camomile scented bubble bath just before hopping into bed (preferably in an old claw foot bath tub with floating rose petals and several tea lights...oh, and a box of chocolate truffles too!) 

One last thing, here are some pictures of my heavenly bed at University. Mmmmm...

1 comment:

Louela Daniele said...

i sleep whenever i can!! i loooove decorating my room to comfy perfection! right now its just a bunch of mishmash of vintage and new. i havent gotten it to exactly what i want but since its the summer i have all the time in to world to do so! love the photos of bedrooms! theyre inspiring! love them all!

loueladaniele.com